Re: [CORE] back-branch multixact fixes & 9.5 alpha/beta: schedule - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: [CORE] back-branch multixact fixes & 9.5 alpha/beta: schedule
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Mon, Jun  8, 2015 at 02:01:52PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> > > OK, are these fixed in 9.4.2 or would the same failure happen in 9.4.3?
> >
> > The fixes are not yet in any released branch, hence the rush to get
> > these out.
>
> OK, now I understand.  :-O  We have known failures that are not patched,
> hence the desire for a release.

Part of the problem is that they are regressions: these systems did not
have any trouble with 9.4.1/9.3.6 (other than being at risk of members
overrun, of course.)

> I am a little concerned we are getting into a case where community
> members dedicated to this issue are asking for a release, and it is
> going into the core black hole, meaning there is no visibility on what
> actions core is taking to make a decision.

At 2ndQuadrant, and I imagine EDB is in the same position, we have
enough packaging stuff going on that we can ship patched releases to
customers in case of trouble.  I worry about users not having that
privilege.