Re: [CORE] back-branch multixact fixes & 9.5 alpha/beta: schedule - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: [CORE] back-branch multixact fixes & 9.5 alpha/beta: schedule
Date
Re: [CORE] back-branch multixact fixes & 9.5 alpha/beta: schedule  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun  8, 2015 at 11:40:43AM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > So, when shall we do all of this releasing?  It seems like we could do
> > stage-one of the multixact fixing this week, and then figure out how
> > to do the other stuff after PGCon.  Alternatively, we can let the
> > latest round of changes that are already in the tree settle until
> > after PGCon, and plan a release for stage-one of the multixact fixing
> > then.  Whichever we pick, we then need to figure out the timetable for
> > the rest of it.
>
> I think we've already basically missed the window for releases this week.
> Not that we couldn't physically do it, but that we normally give the
> packagers more than one day's notice.  (There's also the fact that we've
> already asked them to do two releases in the past three weeks.)

Yeah, I think if we needed this out in an emergency, we would do it, but
based on the volume of recent releases, it would be hard.  Are we seeing
user reports of failures even on the newest released versions, or are
these preventive fixes?

> I propose that we plan for back-branch releases the week after PGCon
> (wrap on Monday June 22), and 9.5alpha1 the week after that (wrap on
> Monday June 29).  If there's a need for an additional round of back-branch
> releases shortly thereafter, we'll deal with that as needed.

I am working on the 9.5 release notes so will be done long before that
date.  I will finish sooner so we can do the week-long release notes
feedback session.  :-)

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +