Re: regression, deadlock in high frequency single-row UPDATE - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andrew Sackville-West
Subject Re: regression, deadlock in high frequency single-row UPDATE
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 06:57:52PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> >
> > > I'm going to experiment with that idea and see if it leads to a
> > > solution.  I tried the other idea yesterday (to keep the HW tuple lock
> > > we acquire in heap_lock_tuple until heap_update is done) but aside from
> > > being very complicated and bug-prone, it doesn't solve the problem
> > > anyway.
> >
> > Here's a preliminary patch.
>
> Here's a finished version of this patch, which I messed a bit with and
> so needs some extra testing.  I want to push this shortly and backpatch
> to 9.4 and 9.3.  I don't want to disrupt the 9.4.0 release next week,
> but it'd be nice not to ship it with this bug.

We have tested this patch on the latest postgresql with our actual
application and it appears to work for us.

We'll be happy to test a patch against the 9.3 series, using our actual
application, as well when it becomes available.

thanks!