Re: superuser() shortcuts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: superuser() shortcuts
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Nov 26, 2014 at 10:12 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > * Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> >> In the context at hand, I think most of the messages in question are
> >> currently phrased like "must be superuser to do X".  I'd be fine with
> >> changing that to "permission denied to do X", but not to just
> >> "permission denied".
> >
> > Apologies for the terseness of my (earlier) reply.  This is exactly what
> > I'm suggesting.  What was in the patch was this change:
> >
> > ! ERROR:  must be superuser or replication role to use replication slots
> >
> > ---
> >
> > ! ERROR:  permission denied to use replication slots
> > ! HINT:  You must be superuser or replication role to use replication slots.
>
> Your proposed change takes two lines to convey the same amount of
> information that we are currently conveying in one line.  How is that
> better?

It includes the actual error message, unlike what we have today which is
guidence as to what's required to get past the permission denied error.

In other words, I disagree that the same amount of information is being
conveyed.
Thanks,
    Stephen