Re: superuser() shortcuts - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: superuser() shortcuts
Date
Re: superuser() shortcuts  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-11-21 10:12:40 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Andres Freund (andres@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> > I still think this change makes the error message more verbose, without
> > any win in clarity.
>
> Can we agree that there should be consistency?

Consistency with what? Are you thinking of the messages in
aclck.c:no_priv_msg? I don't think that's really comparable. A
permission denied on a relation is much easier to understand than
replication permissions and such.

It'd surely not be better if pg_basebackup would a error message bar
actually helpful information. Btw, the replication permission use in
postinit.c isn't related to slots.

> I'm not really particular about which way we go with the specific
> wording (suggestions welcome..) but the inconsistency should be dealt
> with.

Meh.

Greetings,

Andres Freund