Re: Log notice that checkpoint is to be written on shutdown - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Log notice that checkpoint is to be written on shutdown
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-10-09 09:44:09 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > * Andres Freund (andres@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> >> How about flipping the default for log_checkpoints instead? There really
> >> isn't a good reason for having it disabled by default.
>
> > Yeah, I agree with this- it's extremely useful information and it's
> > really not that verbose in general..
>
> -1.  Every time we've turned on default logging of routine events,
> there's been pushback and it was eventually turned off again as log spam.
> I guarantee you that logging checkpoints will be seen as log spam, except
> by people who are actually having trouble with that behavior, which is
> a small minority.

We're talking about 2 log message per checkpoint_timeout interval
here. That's pretty darn far away from log spam. Was there really any
case of such low frequency message causing ire?

And if it's more frequent you can be happy that you see the log message
- because your config isn't appropriate for your load. The number of
times I've seen people being baffled at the bad performance because of a
inadequate checkpoint configuration, whose effect they couldn't see, is
baffling.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services