Re: wrapping in extended mode doesn't work well with default pager - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: wrapping in extended mode doesn't work well with default pager
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 12:30:40PM +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 3:41 AM, Noah Misch <noah@leadboat.com> wrote:
> > This remains open for 9.4.  Your proposal to revert the feature in 9.4 and fix
> > it in 9.5 sounds reasonable.
>
> Ok, I've gone ahead and done this. I'm sorry for the delays and confusion.

Thanks.

> > I did try psql-wrapped-expanded-fix-v5.patch with the tests Peter and I posted
> > upthread, and those tests now behave as they do in released versions.  What
> > cases did you find that still change vs. 9.3?
>
> I was trying to build a spreadsheet of every combination of these
> options. It turns out that 4-dimensional spreadsheets are kind of
> awkward.

What's one query that still behaves differently in 9.5 vs. 9.3 (under
formatting options that exist in both versions)?

> I think the fundamental dilemma was the same that was discussed
> upthread. If wrapped expanded mode should have an extra space padding
> column for the wrap indicators then all expanded modes should have
> that column to be consistent since wrapping shouldn't change the
> amount of padding.

I might agree for a greenfield design, but -1 for changing expanded mode now
to improve consistency in this way.  I predict the complaints from users of
expanded mode in automation would overpower any applause for the consistency.