Re: How about a proper TEMPORARY TABLESPACE? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: How about a proper TEMPORARY TABLESPACE?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Craig Ringer (craig@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 06/18/2014 08:00 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > PG would need to enforce that it's only used for temporary objects
> > as well, of course..  Or at least, that was my thinking on this.
>
> A way to put UNLOGGED objects in such a space and have them recovered
> if they vanish would also be valuable, IMO.

Interesting idea.

> Not necessarily in the same patch, I'd just rather keep it in mind so
> any chosen design doesn't preclude adding that later.

Perhaps we need a more complex definition than just "temporary
tablespace", as in, we should have a way for users to say "this
tablespace is allowed to have objects of type X, Y, Z"?  I can see a
couple of ways to do that and I don't think it'd require much in the way
of changes to the current patch...
Thanks,
    Stephen