Re: Atomics hardware support table & supported architectures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Atomics hardware support table & supported architectures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2014-06-17 13:32:51 -0700, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> >> I seem to recall hearing about this in a customer situation
> >> relatively recently, so there may be a few of these still
> >> kicking around out there.
> >
> > Really? As I'd written in a reply solaris 10 (released 2005)
> > dropped support for it. Dropping support for a platform that's
> > been desupported 10 years ago by it's manufacturer doesn't sound
> > bad imo...
>
> The release of version n doesn't mean that version n-1 is no longer
> supported.  As of today, this page:
>
> http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/solaris10/overview/index-138972.html
>
> says:
>
> > The Oracle Solaris 9 operating system is now in the Extended
> > Support period of it's life cycle. Customers with support
> > contracts can still access patches and log new service requests,
> > although support contracts carry a surcharge for Oracle Solaris 9
> > support.

Yea, I know - for another 3 months or so. But that's not actually my
point. It's rather that I think that 10 years after the vendor itself
dropped support for an old cpu version in their new major software
release we can think about dropping it too. In our newest release, not
the old ones.
To be clear I *don't* mean that we shouldn't support solaris 9
anymore. Just that we don't need to support <= 1995 CPUs. That's pre
ultrasparc...

Note that freebsd, debian
(https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/News/2007/20070721),
fedora (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/SPARC), gentoo,
firefox, and lots of others all don't have sparcv8 support anymore.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services