Re: pitfalls of installing pgpool on a standby server - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: pitfalls of installing pgpool on a standby server
Date
List pgsql-bugs
* Burgess, Freddie (FBurgess@Radiantblue.com) wrote:
> Environment: PostgreSQL 9.3.3 on RHEL 6.4

You really want to be using 9.3.4, especially if you are doing
replication.

> we do not have funds allocated for a dedicated VM for pgpool, what are th=
e ramifications for installing pgpool on one of the standby servers in our =
3 node configuration.

It might make more sense for you to install pgpool on to the application
server rather than the DB servers.  Obviously, if you put it on the
standby then you'll need to deal with moving the connections from that
standby whenever you want to do maintenance or updates on it.

> we want to leverage the installer:  installer-pg93-3.3.3.tar.gz

I don't recognize that, at all.

> Will running this installer intuitively reason that replication is alread=
y configured and running on the three nodes and just perform the remaining =
required components of the setup?

Not sure, but I kinda doubt that pgpool would figure that out for
itself- but maybe I'm wrong.  I'd suggest you read the docs for pgpool.

None of this is a bug in PG, please use the correct mailing list(s) for
these questions.

    Thanks,
    =09
        Stephen