Re: Determine Client Encoding - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Leonardo M. Ramé
Subject Re: Determine Client Encoding
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2014-02-26 09:48:12 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Leonardo =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=2E_Ram=E9?= <l.rame@griensu.com> writes:
> > Hi, we found characters with different enconding in our database. As our
> > system is accessed by many PCs I would like to know if it's possible to
> > know the encoding of each connection, without going to each PC to check
> > its connection string.
>
> If you mean can one session identify the client_encoding of another
> session, no; that information isn't exposed anyplace.  Within a session,
> you can of course use "show client_encoding" or various equivalent
> syntaxes.
>
> Note that when you have encoding problems, as often as not the issue
> is that the data the client is sending isn't really in the encoding
> its client_encoding setting claims.  So even if you could find that
> out remotely, it probably wouldn't help localize the issue very well.
>
>             regards, tom lane

Thanks Tom, let me try to understand what you said.

For example if client_encoding is set to "win1252", but the user does a
copy-paste from MsWord (usually they do this), characters could have
been sent in utf8 ?.

If this is the case, the insert/update is done, but cannot be read from
another client. Right?.

Regards,
--
Leonardo M. Ramé