Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block
Date
Re: Suggestion: Issue warning when calling SET TRANSACTION outside transaction block  (Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-11-19 13:09:16 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Why change the historical behaviour for savepoints?
>
> Because as Tom stated, we already do warnings for other useless
> transaction commands like BEGIN WORK inside a transaction block:

Which imo is a bad, bad historical accident. I've repeatedly seen this
hide bugs causing corrupted data in the end.

But even if that weren't a concern, the fact that BEGIN does it one way
currently doesn't seem very indicative of changing other historical behaviour.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services