Re: removing old ports and architectures - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: removing old ports and architectures
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2013-10-18 18:36:03 +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> On 10/18/2013 06:29 PM, Andres Freund wrote:
> > On 2013-10-18 18:24:58 +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:
> >> hmm there are still some operating systems that "officially" support the
> >> alpha architecture which will likely result in problems for their ports.
> >> One example is OpenBSD both the current version (5.3) as well as the
> >> upcoming release do fully support alpha and have binary packages and
> >> source "ports" for postgresql and afaik they have no intention to stop
> >> supporting that plattform.
> >
> > Hm. If you read their status page (which I think you linked to before):
> > http://openbsd.org/alpha.html you can find stuff like X11 not
> > working. So I don't see that forcing us to much.
>
> not sure that page is acurate and not sure how relevant X11 support is
> for postgresql :)

Only in as much as it's a major piece of software missing. So removing
pg isn't exactly a shocking thing.

> Anyway they do currently have packages (9.2 in -stable and 9.3 in
> -current) available and I think we should consider packagers here as
> well - I personally don't have any particular need for alpha but it is
> clearly not as dead as some of the others we are discussing.
>

> > Note also that we already don't support all openbsd platforms.
>
> sure - but does that also mean we should desupport without at least
> considering it?

We should consider it, yes. But I don't see it counting much in this
case. Multiplatform OSs like (free|open|net)bsd and linux will mostly be
the last to drop support for a platform. It will very rarely be the
applications first.
And openbsd still supporting it doesn't change the fact that there
hasn't been new hardware for 10 years by the time 9.4 is going to be
released.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services