Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review]) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date
In response to Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])  (Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri@2ndQuadrant.fr>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 09, 2013 at 03:08:45PM +0200, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
> > A shared catalog which defined which *database* to run the trigger
> > in, with a way to fire off a new backend worker in that database
> > and tell it to run the trigger, might be interesting and would
> > deal with the issue that the trigger would behave differently
> > depending on the database connected to.  That would bring along
> > other issues, of course, but it seemed an interesting enough idea
> > to mention.
>
> Yeah, I like that approach. The only drawback is that it requires
> having PLproxy in core first, or something like Foreign Functions or
> something.

SQL/MED does define such an API.  Whether we find it useful enough to
make it the default way of doing things is a separate matter.  I'll do
some research.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!