Re: postgresql-server 9.3 - Mailing list pgsql-pkg-debian

From Martin Pitt
Subject Re: postgresql-server 9.3
Date
List pgsql-pkg-debian
Joshua D. Drake [2013-06-13 10:27 -0700]:
> I just set up the apt repository on a new box and saw this:
>
> root@db1:~# apt-cache search postgresql-9.3
> postgresql-9.3 - object-relational SQL database, version 9.3 server
> postgresql-9.3-dbg - debug symbols for postgresql-9.3
> postgresql-client-9.3 - front-end programs for PostgreSQL 9.3
> postgresql-contrib-9.3 - additional facilities for PostgreSQL
>
> This seems like a bad idea. These packages should be clearly marked as Beta.

They are in Debian experimental only, which by definition is "software
which isn't of release quality yet", and their version number has beta
in it. It would be rather inconvenient to have to rename all the
packages once it becomes stable, as we'd have to carry a whole lot of
Conflicts:/Replaces: etc. around for a long while.

Martin