Re: unified vs context diffs (was Re: Strange Windows problem, lock_timeout test request) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: unified vs context diffs (was Re: Strange Windows problem, lock_timeout test request)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
* Heikki Linnakangas (hlinnakangas@vmware.com) wrote:
> So if you want to be kind to readers, look at the patch and choose
> the format depending on which one makes it look better. But there's
> no need to make a point of it when someone posts in "wrong" format.

To be more precise- my main complaint about this is that this patch is
making changes to multi-line comments and to documentation, both of
which get very annoying to try and read in uniform diff format.
Patches that don't do one or the other of those are likely incomplete
anyway.

As another point, it's also the very first thing that we document in
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Reviewing_a_Patch to check for.

> >Every unified diff can be turned into a context diff by passing it
> >though "filterdiff --format=context".
>
> Yep. And in emacs, there's "diff-unified->context" command. I bet
> most editors have a similar functionality these days.

And it probably doesn't work for every patch either, just as filterdiff
doesn't (see my other email).
Thanks,
    Stephen