Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [pgsql-pkg-debian] Re: We should not transition to apt.postgresql.org until we have a PPA
Date
List pgsql-www
On 2013-02-18 09:15:59 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 16, 2013 at 1:38 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> >
> > Folks, we shouldn't be requiring decoder rings here to install Postgres
> > --- we have to do better.
>
> Agreed. A number of years back we did a lot of work to make it easy
> for people to download and install PostgreSQL, through redesigns  of
> the download pages and intentionally directing less technical users to
> the easiest ways to get up and running with everything they need to
> get started (the one-click installers). That was redesigned a few
> months back to point less technical users at the RPM/DEB packages
> instead, as it was felt that with the right wording and stabilisation
> of the package repos that could be made as easy as the installers.
> This is a major step backwards, and needs to be fixed ASAP.

Describing any of the installer packages on debian based distros as
easier as the .deb's imo is not really matching reality in the
least. And it too often results in angry users reporting bugs because
they didn't update.

The instructions sure could be better, but this thread seems to be going
*way* overboard. Just about any user installing a postgres version thats
not provided by the distribution will have added additional repositories
before.

Greetings,

Andres Freund