Re: Materialized views WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kevin Grittner
Subject Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 09:46:33AM -0500, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

>> So, the way I understand it, in Oracle terms, this feature is a
>> "snapshot", not a materialized view. Maybe that's what it should
>> be called then.
>
> "Snapshot" is one of the options for refreshing an Oracle
> materialized view. There are others, which we'll eventually add
> if past is any prologue :)

That's the way I understand it, too.

> I hate to add to the bike-shedding, but we should probably add
> REFRESH SNAPSHOT as an optional piece of the grammar, with more
> REFRESH options to come.

I would prefer to leave the syntax for refreshing MVs to a later
patch. I'm kind of assuming that SNAPSHOT would be the default if
no other options are specified, but I would prefer not to get into
too much speculation about add-on patches for fear of derailing
this initial effort.

-Kevin