Re: PostgreSQL training recommendations? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PostgreSQL training recommendations?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 02:34:37PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 02:53:14PM -0300, Thalis Kalfigkopoulos wrote:
> > I assume the EntrerpriseDB certification seminars are an obvious quick
> > answer: http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/training/dba-training
> >
> > But TBH, I find the PostgreSQL manual to be an excelent guide if you
> > don't mind reading. It is extremely well written (kudos to whoever is
> > on the writing team), definitely written by experts, it delves
> > reasonably enough into detail where
> > needed and most of all: it serves not only as a Pg manual, but as a DB
> > theory/good practice manual as well. I realize that 2.8Kpages is not
> > easy to digest, but the first 30 Chapters seem to cover more than
> > enough to just get you started (though not Slony/pgpool).
>
> I think the big thing the training manual is missing is giving
> inexperienced users a framework to understand all the pieces.  Training
> does help in that area, and I am unclear how we could improve the manual
> to address that.

As a disclaimer, I should add that I do training for EnterpriseDB.  I
think the communication of a mental framework in understanding Postgres
is one of the most valuable things I can give students.  I think my
presentations have a similar focus:

    http://momjian.us/main/presentations/