Re: 9.2 Cascading replication after slave promotion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gibheer
Subject Re: 9.2 Cascading replication after slave promotion
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 10:50:07 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> > Yeah, I think there's more people that agree with this use-case
> > than you seem to think..  That said, I appreciate that it's not a
> > trivial thing to support cleanly.
>
> Not trivial, no, but not major either.  Really what needs to happen is
> for the timeline change record to get transmitted over the WAL stream.
>
> Hmmm.  You know, I bet I could get stream-only remastering working in
> an unsafe way just by disabling the timeline checks.  Time to test ...

Isn't that, what recovery_target_timeline in the recovery.conf already
does? It switches to the next timeline after a master migration. See
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/recovery-target-settings.html
for further information.