Re: Draft release notes complete - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Draft release notes complete
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 11, 2012 at 08:27:49AM +0200, Stefan Kaltenbrunner wrote:

> >> You keep threatening with that.  You are free, of course, to do anything
> >> you want, and no one will break sweat about it.  I already said I will
> >> work on getting this up and running, but I can't give you a deadline for
> >> when it'll be working.
> >
> > My point is that this frequent doc build feature was removed with no
> > discussion, and adding it seems to be some herculean job that requires
> > red tape only a government worker would love.
>
> Not sure how you got that impression - but understand all requirements
> to something is usually key to implementing a solution, so discussing
> those requirements seems like a sensible thing to do.
> sysadmin is a volunteer effort and we do our best to deal with both
> keeping the existing infrastructure up and improving as we can but
> resources are limited and we need to consider the time/effort ration of
> stuff.
> Anyway alvaro clearly stated he would deal with it but obviously
> thatthat is not enough for your urgent demands so there is really not
> much we can do about it...

Don't know about "urgent", but I made this request in May:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-05/msg00480.php

and at a certain point, waiting four months and discussing it repeatedly
just isn't an efficient use of my time.

It only took me 15 minutes to implement.  I am guessing the complexity
of the Postgres infrastructure just makes the job much harder to
implement there.

This is a good example of why some organizations like cloud services,
where they can host things without waiting for the item to get to the
top of the IT TODO list.

http://enterprisedb.com