Re: PG Installer - Licensing Issues - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: PG Installer - Licensing Issues
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 11:45:21AM +0100, Andrew Hastie wrote:
> As I understand it, I am allowed to redistribute Postgres so long as
> I include the copyright notice plus paragraphs as detailed on
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/licence/.
>
> What I want to confirm is that the one-click installer (which I
> understand was supplied by EnterpriseDB) can also be redistributed
> such that I can bundle Postgres with my "product", and also use the
> non-interactive installer (http://www.enterprisedb.com/resources-community/pginst-guide#interactive)
> such that I can make the installation as easy as possible for my
> users. I've scanned the EnterpriseDB site, but I see nothing that
> confirms or denies my thoughts.

I dug into this and found this at the top of the installation notes file
that is created once you install the product, at
/opt/PostgreSQL/9.1/doc/installation-notes.html:

   Legal Bits

   First the boring legal stuff. The software bundled together in this
   package is released under a number of different Open Source licences.
   By using any component of this installation package, you agree to
   abide by the terms and conditions of it's licence.

   The PostgreSQL Server and pgAdmin are released under the PostgreSQL
   License.

   This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project for
   use in the OpenSSL Toolkit. (http://www.openssl.org/)

I also found this:

    http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-services-training/products-overview/licensing
    http://www.enterprisedb.com/ba/foss-licenses

Now, this doesn't directly mention the installer, which is gone at the
time this is installed.  I know it has the same license as Postgres, but
where is that documented.  Dave, any ideas?