Re: BUG #6706: pg_upgrade fails when plpgsql dropped/re-created - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: BUG #6706: pg_upgrade fails when plpgsql dropped/re-created
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Jul 06, 2012 at 07:32:10PM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> >> I do not believe that this patch fixes the problem, and I also believe
> >> that it creates new problems.  Please revert.
> >
> > I asked for an explaination of the problem, but received no reply:
> >
> >         http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2012-07/msg00005.php
> >
> > so I assumed you were fine with it.  Please explain.  Does anyone else
> > understand the problem Tom is seeing?
>
> Well, the part I understood was that your fix apparently does not
> guarantee to restore plpgsql to the state it was in, just to restore
> it to existence.  But previous complaints about similar issues have
> fallen on deaf ears (see bug #5184).  Perhaps Tom has had a change of
> heart, but if so we have a few things to fix, not just this one.

Yes, I think my fix gives binary-upgrade the same behavior as
pg_dump/restore --- for all its good and bad.  I couldn't see why they
should be different, or at least why binary-upgrade should be worse
(throw an error).