Re: what Linux to run - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Leif Biberg Kristensen
Subject Re: what Linux to run
Date
Re: what Linux to run  (Raymond O'Donnell <rod@iol.ie>)
Re: what Linux to run  (Chris Angelico <rosuav@gmail.com>)
Re: what Linux to run  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Re: what Linux to run  (Gavin Flower <GavinFlower@archidevsys.co.nz>)
List pgsql-general
 Lørdag 3. mars 2012 01.43.29 skrev Gavin Flower :

> I think if you are going to select a member of the Debian family, I
> would strongly recommend Debian itself. I have the impression that the
> Debian community is more serious about quality than Canonical (the
> company behind Ubuntu).

I haven't run Debian for ten years, when I had a headless old PC running with
a LAMP stack. Since I discovered Gentoo, that has been my preferred distro.
However, I'm currently in the process of setting up a dedicated Web server
with Debian as it may one day be another person's responsibility to admin this
box, and I would consider it cruel to leave a Gentoo box to anyone but the
most devoted Linux fans.

My current gripe is this: The «stable» version of Postgres on Debian is 8.4.
In order to install 9.1, I added this line to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

Then I did an apt-get update and

apt-get install postgresql-9.1 postgresql-client-9.1

Finally I commented out the added line of /etc/apt/sources.list.

This seems a rather roundabout way, is there a better one?

regards, Leif