Re: Apparent Problem With NULL in Restoring pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Apparent Problem With NULL in Restoring pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thursday, September 15, 2011 1:17:06 pm Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Sep 2011, Alban Hertroys wrote:
> > You appear to have two tabs after "Depth to Water", which would be one
> > too many.
>
> Alban,
>
>    I thought that I had caught all the double tabs. Thanks for seeing this
> one.
>
>    Now I'm back to the tabs-in-real-columns issue:
>
>   ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type real: "     "
> CONTEXT:  COPY chemistry, line 47364, column quant: "     "
>
> and here's the referenced line:
>
> \N    GW-22    2004-12-17    Calcium                 9.69999981    mg/L
> \N    \N    \N      \N
>
> Removing the extra tab between 'Calcium' and 9.69999981 produces:
>
>   ERROR:  invalid input syntax for type numeric: "N      N"
> CONTEXT:  COPY chemistry, line 47364, column northing: "N      N"
>
>    There must be a better way to clean this table, but I don't know what it
> is.

This is one of those things I find spreadsheets actually useful for. Do a COPY or
/copy, in CSV format from the table and import it into a spreadsheet. I find the
grid layout of a spreadsheet very useful in picking out misplaced fields.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com