Re: Couple document fixes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: Couple document fixes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 05, 2011 at 10:07:29PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Excerpts from David Fetter's message of lun sep 05 21:05:10 -0300 2011:
>
> > On brief inspection, it appears that each of these would be better
> > served, at least functionally, with some kind of enumerated type.
> > Might it be worth trying to micro-optimize this case for a one-byte
> > enum?  Or maybe something like the varvarlena pattern?
>
> What would be the point?

Removing the legacy "char" type, per original post. :)

> It works pretty well already.  It doesn't need fixing.

We've made changes as big on aesthetic grounds before, and if the
change results in an enum type optimized for space efficiency, that's
all to the good.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!