Re: Invalid input syntax for integer - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jean-Yves F. Barbier
Subject Re: Invalid input syntax for integer
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, 18 Aug 2011 11:07:58 -0400, Hans Edwin Winzeler <hewinzeler@gmail.com>
wrote:

> The input table from my .csv file (about 10 million records) that I am
> importing into PostgreSQL from a different program gives numbers in a format
> as follows, for example: 0-1788.000000 to indicate the value -1788.
> PostgreSQL gives me the error "invalid input syntax for integer" when I try
> to import the number (or invalid for numeric, real, double precision, etc.
> when I try to import it in those other formats). When I specify varchar(20)
> I get no problems and can import it, but then I can't use it numerically.
> How do I either:
>

>    - Import the value as NUMERIC or INTEGER or REAL or FLOAT or something
>    that I can use as a value rather than text, OR
>    - How do I convert the varchar(20) that I have already imported into a
>    numeric value?

AFAIK you can't without touching the CVS file.

Think a second: how can Pg (or any other app) recognize any number in
'0-1223...', which isn't a standard international notation convention?

--
When pleasure remains, does it remain a pleasure?