Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document the all-balls IPv6 address. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ross J. Reedstrom
Subject Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Document the all-balls IPv6 address.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 11:00:19PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> It's already there, although I agree it's infelicitous.
>
> > I vote for taking it out.  I think that could be interpreted as inappropriate.
>
> IIRC, the pre-existing usage refers to time 00:00:00.  It does not seem
> especially useful to adopt the same terminology for network addresses;
> that's more likely to confuse people than anything else.

And just as a historical etymological note for the list, in case anyone
finds this in the archives: "all balls" referring to all zeros setting
shows up as NASA speak in Apollo era transcripts, for any sort of "all
zeros" setting - the one I remember off hand was actually a angle
setting for an engine firing for Apollo 13. It may have been milspeak at
one time as well. The more modern interpretation seems to be a
contraction of "all balls, no brains", so would in fact be a little off
for a changelog entry.

Ross "etymologically yours" Reedstrom
--
Ross Reedstrom, Ph.D.                                 reedstrm@rice.edu
Systems Engineer & Admin, Research Scientist        phone: 713-348-6166