Re: concatenate question - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: concatenate question
Date
List pgsql-sql
Tony Capobianco <tcapobianco@prospectiv.com> wrote:

> Here's my table:
>
> plsql_dw=# \d tmpsv_parent_master
>            Table "staging.tmpsv_parent_master"
>
> Why won't this work?
> plsql_dw=# select memberid || addeddate from tmpsv_parent_master limit
> 10;
> ERROR:  operator does not exist: numeric || timestamp without time zone
> LINE 1: select memberid || addeddate from tmpsv_parent_master limit ...
>                         ^
> HINT:  No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You
> might need to add explicit type casts.

You can read? ;-)

You have to CAST the INT and the TIMESTAMP both into a STRING-typ, for
instance:

test=*# select 1::int || now()::timestamp;
ERROR:  operator does not exist: integer || timestamp without time zone
ZEILE 1: select 1::int || now()::timestamp;                      ^
TIP:  No operator matches the given name and argument type(s). You might need to add explicit type casts.
test=!# rollback;
ROLLBACK
Zeit: 0,124 ms
test=# select 1::text || now()::text;           ?column?
--------------------------------12010-12-11 14:42:12.571931+01
(1 Zeile)

Andreas