Re: 8.4 Data Not Compatible with 9.0.1 Upgrade? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: 8.4 Data Not Compatible with 9.0.1 Upgrade?
Date
List pgsql-general

> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 12:45 PM, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:
> > I can't speak for Arch Linux' upgrade setup, but going from 8.4 -> 9.0
> > requires that the data directory either be dumped/recreated, or ran
> > through the new upgrade process (which (as yet) I have no experience
> > with).
> >
> > If the Arch Linux stuff doesn't do that automatically, then you'll have
> > to do it manually.
>
> I just read:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/release-9-0
>
> Sadly I blindly upgraded my database w/o doing a dump / restore so can
> anyone tell me if I am dead in the water or is there a way I can
> recover from this error on my part?

It's unlikely that anything is wrong with the data.  If you downgrade
that machine back to 8.4, you should be OK.  Or you could copy the
data directory to another machine that has 8.4 on it (as long as the
hardware architecture is the same)

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com