Re: [HACKERS] MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: [HACKERS] MIT benchmarks pgsql multicore (up to 48)performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
* Kevin Grittner (Kevin.Grittner@wicourts.gov) wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > perhaps it would be possible by, say, increasing the number of
> > lock partitions by 8x.  It would be nice to segregate these issues
> > though, because using pread/pwrite is probably a lot less work
> > than rewriting our lock manager.
>
> You mean easier than changing this 4 to a 7?:
>
> #define LOG2_NUM_LOCK_PARTITIONS  4
>
> Or am I missing something?

I'm pretty sure we were talking about the change described in the paper
of moving to a system which uses atomic changes instead of spinlocks for
certain locking situations..

If that's all the MIT folks did, they certainly made it sound like alot
more. :)

    Stephen

Attachment