Re: pg_dump cannot connect when executing by a script - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Luca Ferrari
Subject Re: pg_dump cannot connect when executing by a script
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tuesday 25 May 2010 01:13:40 pm A. Kretschmer's cat walking on the keyboard
wrote:
> Your unix-scket isn't in /tmp.
>
> Start psql -h localhost and type:
>
> show unix_socket_directory;
>
> This will show you the corrent path to the unix-socket. You can use that
> for pg_dump with option -h </path/to/the/socket-dir>

Not sure if I get it right: on the machine executing the script postgresql is
not installed, only the client is.
However, it seems to work specifying in the pg_dump the port to which the
script must connect: -p 5432. It is interesting to know why the psql command
is working fine even without such parameter and pg_dump is not.

Luca