Upgrading from PostgreSQL 7.4.3 - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From peter@vfemail.net
Subject Upgrading from PostgreSQL 7.4.3
Date
List pgsql-novice
I'm running PostgreSQL version 7.4.3 on a Dell PowerEdge SC400 running FreeBSD 4.10.  Fresh SCSI drives were installed
inthe server a week ago.  A variety of Perl, PHP, shell and perhaps other scripts read read from the database, write
recordsto the database, and otherwise shuffle data here, there and everywhere all day, every weekday.  Rebuilding the
serverfrom ground zero isn't a viable option.  I'm clueless what is dependent on anything else.  Because the system was
builtby a number of people over a period of many years, there is no one person who understands the system in its
entirety. . . other than when something doesn't work it's a headache.

Where do I begin the upgrade process?  What litmus test can I use to separate those who have the requisite skill to do
thejob and those who don't?  For someone with the necessary skills, what's a reasonable range of hours required for
themto do what needs to be done?

Thank you in advance for your insights and guidance.