some problems when i use postgresql 8.4.2 in my projects . - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From wyx6fox@sina.com
Subject some problems when i use postgresql 8.4.2 in my projects .
Date
Re: some problems when i use postgresql 8.4.2 in my projects .  (Leo Mannhart <leo.mannhart@beecom.ch>)
Re: some problems when i use postgresql 8.4.2 in my projects .  (Pierre Frédéric Caillaud<lists@peufeu.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Sorry again for previous rough messages,  some good people advice me to post these problems again With sincere and friendly attitude 。

I think i should do this .

In recently projects , I determine use pg in some medium or big projects , as the projects has been finished,
it prove that I made a right decision. Maturity and stability of the postgresql has left us a deep iompression, of coz,  there is some problems in postgresql  , and finally we take some  interim measures to avoid this problems
ENV: postgresql 8.4.2 , CentOS5.4, JDK6.0

problems 1:  My previous view is that the insert operation would use a exclusive lock on referenced row on FK , but now I realyzed that I  am wrong , after test , pg does not  take a exclusive lock on fk row,  My prvous test procedure make a stupid mistake: when i check the performence problem , i remove the fks and unique constraints in one time , and the good result make me think the fk is the problem, but actually the unique constraints is the problem .

i shame myself .
after shaming , I think i should pick out some my points:
 the unique constraints actualy kill concurrency write transaction when concurrency insert violate the unique constraints , they block each other , i test this in oracle10g, has the same behavour. I think this may be reasonable because the uqniue check must be  the seriazable check .
for resolve this problem , i do the unique check in application as possible , but in big concurrency env , this is not good way .

problems 2: my mistake too , i think i misunderstanding read committed isolation , shame myself again too .

problems 3:

After i do some config by this link: http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions .

the cost now just is 2-4 seconds , it is acceptable .

thanks u  very much and forgive me .