Re: Updating from 8.2 to 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Updating from 8.2 to 8.4
Date
List pgsql-general
On Friday 25 December 2009 5:06:28 am Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> Adrian Klaver wrote:
> > On Thursday 24 December 2009 11:20:35 am Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> >> I was hoping to finally get the servers updated from 8.2 to 8.4 over the
> >> festive season, but by now I think I've left things too tight.
> >>
> >> Is it necessary to update the (Windows) ODBC driver as well? I've got a
> >> couple of app servers still on NT4 with ODBC 8.02.0100 which I'm trying
> >> to be careful with lest I put something on them which requires a later
> >> OS and can't back out.
> >>
> >> The apps are written in a rather old version of Delphi with BDE which is
> >> fine with 8.2. Trying to run against 8.4 I get "Couldn't perform the
> >> edit because another user changed the record."- looking back through
> >> this and other MLs I see suggestion that this could be caused by an
> >> excessive number of decimal places in the data (current case only
> >> contains integers, timestamps and text) or possibly by a transaction
> >> isolation issue.
> >
> > My experience with this is it related to timestamps with fractional
> > second precision. The other thing to note is that in 8.4 the default for
> > datetimes is now 64-bit integer datetimes, not the previous float
> > datetimes.
>
> Many thanks for that Adrian. I notice this in the ODBC release notes
> which could be relevant:
>
> -----8<-----
> psqlODBC 08.04.0100 Release
> ..
> 8.) Remove a spurious "." with no trailing digits in timestamp
> representation (bug report [#1010540] from Brian Feldman).
>
> although I don't know why it didn't bite on 8.2 unless it's specifically
> when 64-bit timestamps are processed.

You might want to confirm your 8.4 installation is using integer datetimes as
there is some variability in its useage among packagers. Follow this thread for
one such discussion:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2009-07/msg01119.php

--
Adrian Klaver