Re: Exclusion Constraint vs. Constraint Exclusion - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Exclusion Constraint vs. Constraint Exclusion
Date
Re: Exclusion Constraint vs. Constraint Exclusion  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:
> > If we do need to do this, perhaps we should change the older parameter
> > to be partition_exclusion.
>
> Yeah, if we do want to do something about this then changing the name of
> the existing GUC would be a lot less work.  However, partition_exclusion
> seems to imply that it *only* applies to partitioned tables, which is
> not the case...

Perhaps
table_exclusion = {on, off, partition}

Of course, constraint_exclusion should continue to work as a synonym for
backwards compatibility, but it wouldn't be documented.