Re: safelly erasing dirs/files - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Andreas Kretschmer
Subject Re: safelly erasing dirs/files
Date
List pgsql-general
Joao Ferreira gmail <joao.miguel.c.ferreira@gmail.com> wrote:
> my problem is I a heavilly bloated pg database that has just filled up
> the partition
>
> data is in /var/pgsql/.. and /var is 100% full...
>
> vacuum/reindex is saying: I can't do it cause I have no space :(
>
> how do I un-bloat the /var partition ? this is why I was considering
> rm !!!!

Which version do you have? 8.4? If yes, you can create a new tablespace
on an other partition/disk and alter table set tablespace <your new
tablespace>.

Indexes you can DROP and recreate.

But never ever delete files on os-level!

Andreas