Re: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From daveg
Subject Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 08:02:03PM -0700, Ron Mayer wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> > I don't know of anyone who is likely to want to try out alphas in their
> > normal development environments. The client I approached was
> > specifically prepared to test beta releases that way.
>
> Perhaps end-users won't, but I think companies who develop software that
> works on top of postgres will. Perhaps to make sure their existing software
> continues to work; or perhaps to get a head start working with new features.
> I test against CVS-head occasionally.

I've been trying to help a client take up new versions of postgresql
more quickly as the performance or feature content is often very valuable
to them. Accordingly, I have encouraged them to run periodic samples of the
nightly snapshots on at least one development instance, and to run the
betas in the test environment. The goal is to be confident on the day of the
postgresql release that we have tested enough and fixed any incompatibilities
so that, if they so choose, they could migrate production to the new release
immediately. This way they get several months extra benefit from improvements
to postgresql.

-dg

--
David Gould       daveg@sonic.net      510 536 1443    510 282 0869