Re: Unit conversion database (was: multiple paramters in aggregate function) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karsten Hilbert
Subject Re: Unit conversion database (was: multiple paramters in aggregate function)
Date
List pgsql-general
Alban,

I think having an installable schema for units of measure with
definitions and functions would be a great addition to PostgreSQL.

I for one know we would use it in GNUmed (wiki.gnumed.de).

A few points:

Would these guys be of use as a source for reference data ?

   http://unitsofmeasure.org/

You may want to think about whether there's use in combining
units with tagged types:

   http://svana.org/kleptog/pgsql/taggedtypes.html

There's also a Debian package which comes with a text format
units database:

   http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/units

The original source for that:

 This package was put together by me, James Troup <james@nocrew.org>,
 from the GNU sources, which I obtained from
 sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk:/pub/gnu/units-1.54.tar.gz.

 The current version of the package was obtained from
 ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/units
 by John Hasler, the current Debian maintainer.

> I think this database is fairly usable in its current state. Any more
> development on it

Yes please ! :-)

> warrants its own project page somewhere and taking
> it off-list, I'll no longer pester you with updates on this ;)

Ah, no problem. Please keep posting release announcements. Maybe
on -announce if so.

Karsten