Re: "Hot standby"? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: "Hot standby"?
Date
Re: "Hot standby"?  ("David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:30 AM, Peter Eisentraut<peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> > What is "hot" and "standby" about the proposed "hot standby" feature?

OK, so it is "warm slave".

> Absolutely nothing.  It's horribly misnamed.
>
> I have also long argued that "Synchronous Replication" should really
> be called "Streaming Replication".  Perhaps it may eventually support
> a synchronous mode of operation, but that will probably never be the
> only one.

Yes, I like "streaming replication" because no matter how we implement
this feature, there are going to be synchronous and asynchronous modes
eventually.

http://enterprisedb.com