Re: hot standby - merged up to CVS HEAD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David Fetter
Subject Re: hot standby - merged up to CVS HEAD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 11:15:51PM +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 10:20 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Simon:  you have people offering to help with the patch.  Offering
> > to help *right now*.  Might I suggest that you establish a GIT
> > branch for Hot Standby so that more people can collaborate?
> > Working on it until you get it "perfect" offsite doesn't work;
> > it's going to require adjustment/debugging once it gets to
> > commitfest anyway.  Might as well start that now, or it'll just
> > delay application.
>
> Agreed, but there will be some time before that is possible. I'm
> happy to commit to Sept 15 *latest* to do the above. I know what has
> to be done and that's my timescale for doing it.

With all due respect, Simon, you've missed the point completely.  If
you have done any work on this whatsoever, *NOW* is the time to share
it and going forward, immediately publishing any change, is the way to
keep it shared.

Working off in splendid isolation, while it may appeal to you, is the
wrong move.  Guaranteed tears.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!