Re: PQstatus does not seem to work - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Sam Mason
Subject Re: PQstatus does not seem to work
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 12:41:47AM +0800, Juan Backson wrote:
> I used PQstatus(conn) function to check connection status, but I found that
> it still returns CONNECTION_OK even after postgres is restarted.  Does
> anyone know if there is another command that I can use to check connection
> status?

Yes, PQstatus just gives back the last status.  It doesn't go off and
check anything.

> What other solution is available to check whether a connection is still
> alive?

As a connection can go down at any time, this doesn't seem useful.  Just
send off your request as normal and if it fails because the connection
was closed then you can open a new one and try again.

--
  Sam  http://samason.me.uk/