Re: PQstatus does not seem to work - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PQstatus does not seem to work
Date
List pgsql-general
Juan Backson <juanbackson@gmail.com> writes:
>  I used PQstatus(conn) function to check connection status, but I found that
> it still returns CONNECTION_OK even after postgres is restarted.  Does
> anyone know if there is another command that I can use to check connection
> status?

PQstatus isn't going to get updated until you try to do some operation
with the connection object.  Otherwise it wouldn't be a simple inquiry
function, but some exceedingly expensive operation involving attempting
to contact the server.

> What other solution is available to check whether a connection is still
> alive?

Send a query.

            regards, tom lane