Re: hot standby - merged up to CVS HEAD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: hot standby - merged up to CVS HEAD
Date
Re: hot standby - merged up to CVS HEAD  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 7, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Bruce Momjian<bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Third, Robert, you should have communicated to the list that you were
> > going to work on the patch, so that there would not be duplicate effort
> > if someone else was also working on it. ?As I understood it, Heikki was
> > in control of the patch, but it doesn't hurt to send out a short email
> > stating you wanted to work on it now. ?In this case no one was working
> > on it, but if someone had been, there would have been duplicate effort
> > and that is disappointing to everyone. ?Odds are when you started on the
> > patch you didn't realize you would be overhauling it, but once that
> > became clear, an email to hackers, ideally CC'ing the original patch
> > authors, would have been a good idea.
>
> Simon asked me about this offlist as well: I'll repeat the gist of
> what I said to him here.  I really wasn't sure how far I was going to
> be able to get with this, and I didn't put more work into it before
> sending it than the amount of time I was willing to waste on it.  I
> figured that I was fairly safe because there had been no activity for
> 5 months, but if I had been wrong, I was prepared to accept that.  I
> thought it would be a little arrogant to say I was going to work on
> the patch without having any idea whether I was going to be able to do
> anything useful with it; since I ended up getting something that may
> be useful done, it now seems like I should've said something, but that
> was a little less obvious at the time.  At any rate, I am sensitive to
> the issue and will try to handle it better the next time.

Yea, it is a learning experience.

> Also, to my knowledge, nobody has really looked through the results to
> see if they are any good, so the success of the endeavor remains in
> doubt from my point of view.  That's a bit of a shame because I am
> interested in putting some more time into this, but I don't have the
> knowledge or experience to "fly solo" here.

Well, Simon stated that your version should now be used as the most
recent one, so I would call that a success.

http://enterprisedb.com