Re: hot standby - merged up to CVS HEAD - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: hot standby - merged up to CVS HEAD
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-07-15 at 17:27 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 21:12 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> > >

> > It's going to be very confusing if people submit their own versions of
> > it. So now we have mine, Heikki's and Robert's. I'd like this to stop
> > please, have a little faith and a little patience. Presumably Robert's
> > rebasing patch is best place to start from now for later work.
> >

> Robert, thank you for your work.
>
> Simon you need to realize that a lot of people really want this patch. I
> for one applaud Robert's work (and Heikki's). If you want a summer
> holiday, go for it. I certainly haven't been working that hard this
> summer.
>
> However, I certainly don't think that is any reason for people who are
> showing initiation and drive should stop. If Robert wants to work on
> this patch, more power to him. Perhaps he can solve something you can't.
> Perhaps it will be done before you are done with holiday. If not, then
> at least we have moved a little further in the process and in theory
> taken some workload off of you.

Sorry to be chiming in weeks late on this, but there are some procedural
issues I want to address.

First, I agree with everything Joshua Drake said, and thank you for
chiming in on this.

Second, Simon, you seem disappointed that Robert Haas helped with the
hot standby patch.  By your own admission you weren't working on it, so
I would think you would be grateful that someone moved it forward.  This
is not a question of 'faith' and 'patience', but getting the patch
completed.  The goal is to get the patch completed, not for a single
individual to complete it.

Third, Robert, you should have communicated to the list that you were
going to work on the patch, so that there would not be duplicate effort
if someone else was also working on it.  As I understood it, Heikki was
in control of the patch, but it doesn't hurt to send out a short email
stating you wanted to work on it now.  In this case no one was working
on it, but if someone had been, there would have been duplicate effort
and that is disappointing to everyone.  Odds are when you started on the
patch you didn't realize you would be overhauling it, but once that
became clear, an email to hackers, ideally CC'ing the original patch
authors, would have been a good idea.

http://enterprisedb.com