Re: Alpha releases: How to tag - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Alpha releases: How to tag
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Monday 03 August 2009 21:07:00 David Fetter wrote:
> > We require that people supply docs with their changes, and it is
> > totally unreasonable to let them send in catalog changes which do not
> > include need migration changes.  That's how it works in every other
> > RDBMS outfit that has changes on disk, and we do not need to be the
> > exception.
>
> Well, blocker number one for that is that pg_migrator is not even in the
> PostgreSQL CVS repository, but is more like an endorsed third-party product.

I wouldn't say pg_migrator is "endorsed".  It is on pgfoundry and was
mentioned in the press release, but it isn't mentioned in our
documentation about upgrading, it wasn't mentioned in the release notes,
and it isn't mentioned on our web site, except as a news item.

I believe this is because of concerns about pg_migrator's "experimental"
nature.

http://enterprisedb.com