Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Simon Riggs wrote:

> On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 17:07 +0300, Devrim G?ND?Z wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 14:31 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> >
> > > So two companies that support PostgreSQL are refusing to supply
> > > installation files without this link? An interesting definition of
> > > support.
> >
> > I could not understand how you got that point from what I wrote. I am
> > not in the point of saying any word in the name of EDB or CMD.
>
> Removing links does not imply that the companies concerned will stop
> providing the files to PostgreSQL does it?
>
> > > Surely we can remove the links and ask for the files also. If
> > > everybody plays to the same rules, all is good, no?
> >
> > Please stop Simon, please.
>
> Stop what? Stop asking for something that a significant number and a
> clear majority of people have agreed is desirable? Why would I? I think
> the companies concerned should consider stopping.

I think this is an idealism vs. reality issue.  I could ask for the
"moon in a box", but I am not going to get it, so there isn't much point
in my asking.  I could ask for all companies to contribute to the
community with no advertising, but it isn't going to happen, or it
certainly is going to decrease company contributions.

Simon, what is odd is that you certainly must understand this because
your email signature has advertising:

    >  Simon Riggs           www.2ndQuadrant.com
    >  PostgreSQL Training, Services and Support

Mine does too, but less than yours because I don't list specific
offerings.  (I am not criticizing your additional email advertising, just
trying to highlight a point.)

I assume you added advertising to your signature because it helps to
justify the many emails you send to community email lists.  I am fine
with that, and I assume everyone else is too, but to assume that somehow
this motivation applies to you and not to all other companies is to deny
reality.

Many of us in the community are idealists, but when idealism is not
tempered by reality, it becomes ineffective.

Peter's quote seems apropos here:
> In the meantime, I suggest you follow the revised version of the old saying:
> "If you can't beat them, join them, then beat them." ;-)

That's realism.