Re: Vote on Windows installer links - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Vote on Windows installer links
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 10 July 2009 6:58:15 am Rob Napier wrote:
> Bruce
>
> Excellent rationalizing. Only thing I am not sure I agree with is that
> there is a consensus of opinion on EDB's level of advertising in this case.
>
> The only thing I am sure of is that there are at least two points of view
> on this.
>
> You mention a policy on advertising, self-promotion etc. Is it in a
> document? Where can I get a copy of that?
>
> Rob

I am with Rob on this, I don't recall a consensus being reached. I also agree
with his other post on the whole business != community bias. Trying to maintain
the distinction between businesses and individuals is what created this mess.
As far as I can see we are battling the Open Source Community Myth. This is
that any given project is run by altruistic code monks who produce reams of
code sustained only by home brewed beer and home baked bread, with their only
reward being the warm fuzzy feeling that comes from knowing they are doing
the 'right' thing. Reality is somewhat different. I dare say that there are few
to no major contributors to Postgres who are not financially supported by some
company for their work on the project. This is not bad, just a fact of life. To
not acknowledge or reward the companies that are supporting the contributors is
wrong. If that means creating a policy that is more then some arbitrary
consensus then so be it. The bottom line is that EDB is part of the Postgres
community and they are helping spread it to previously untapped users. This is
good. Singling them out for punishment because they are good at it, is bad.

--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@comcast.net