Re: Looking for installations with a large number of concurrent users

From: David Kerr
Subject: Re: Looking for installations with a large number of concurrent users
Date: ,
List: pgsql-performance

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 11:40:21AM -0500, Kevin Grittner wrote:
- We're on SLES 10 SP 2 and are handling a web site which gets two to
- three million hits per day, running tens of millions of queries, while
- functioning as a replication target receiving about one million
- database transactions to modify data, averaging about 10 DML
- statements each, on one box with the following hardware:

[snip]

Thanks! that's all great info, puts me much more at ease.

- The connection pool for the web application is maxed at 25 active
- connections; the replication at 6.  We were using higher values, but
- found that shrinking the connection pool down to this improved
- throughput (in a saturation test) and response time (in production).
- If the server were dedicated to PostgreSQL only, more connections
- would probably be optimal.

Ok, so it looks ilike I need to focus some testing there to find the
optimal for my setup. I was thinking 25 for starters, but I think i'll
bump that to 50.

- I worry a little when you mention J2EE.  EJBs were notoriously poor
- performers, although I hear there have been improvements.  Just be
- careful to pinpoint your bottlenecks so you can address the real
- problem if there is a performance issue.

Sounds good, thanks for the heads up.

Dave