Re: Bloated Table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Bill Moran
Subject Re: Bloated Table
Date
List pgsql-general

> Hello everybody.
>
> I'm using a view (http://pgsql.tapoueh.org/site/html/news/20080131.bloat.html) to display the bloat (unused disk
space)of the tables in a PostgreSQL database. Using this data I want to implement a database maintenance script
automaticallyexectuting a VACUUM FULL on these tables.
> Unfortunately I am finding a table to have bloat which can't be reclaimed. I have tried VACUUM, REINDEX, VACUUM FULL
ANALYZEwith REINDEX, and even dump and restore. The view always shows 375MB of bloat for the table.

> Is this normal? Here's the table structure:
>
>                                     Table "public.foobar_log"
>    Column   |           Type           |                         Modifiers
> ------------+--------------------------+--------------------------------
> ------------+--------------------------+---------------------------
>  foorbarid  | integer                  | not null default nextval('foobar_log_id_seq'::regclass)
>  created_at | timestamp with time zone | not null
>  foo        | character varying(50)    | not null
>  bar        | character varying(16)    | not null
>  chit       | integer                  | not null
>  chat       | boolean                  | not null default false
>     "bar_index" btree (bar)
>     "foobarid_foobar_log_key" btree (foobarid)
>     "chit_foobar_log_key" btree (chit)
>

> The table consists of approximately 2.4 million entries.
>
> Any help is appreciated.

What is the output of VACUUM VERBOSE foobar_log?

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com